Monday, February 9, 2009

Double Bridge Run

Saturday was a great day for the Double Bridge 15K Run – perfect weather and good friends to run with. Thanks to Bob Turner and Wade Peters who set a good pace, I did better than when I ran it in 2007. It was a lot warmer this time around too. Although I tied Bob for second place in the octogenarian category, I don’t think I was even on the radar in my own age division. All in all it was a great day and a nice break from all the cycling I’ve been doing.


This week I need to get back on the bike, but I’m going to take it easy the latter part of the week to rest up for the Pensacola Half Marathon on Sunday.

I have been studying my maps in preparation. Honestly, not getting lost on this trip will be my greatest challenge. I have virtually no sense of direction and this route is vastly more complex than the one I took when I walked to DC. At least I will have a GPS device with me this time around to provide some guidance. Oh well, it just makes the journey more of an adventure when you really don’t know where you are going. It is nearly impossible for me to predict how far I will ride each day – I know how well I can do on a good day on relatively flat terrain, but the mountains of Tennessee and Kentucky are truly wild cards – I won’t get a feel for the daily mileage there until I actually do it. I still feel like 60 days is a reasonable time frame to complete the whole trek – we’ll see!

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marathons? 100 mile weekend bike rides? Most astronauts would be envious of your determination! I'm sure you will be in great shape when you start the bike adventure. Best of luck!

Pat Crawford said...

Thanks for the kind words. I just want to be able to enjoy the ride without going into cardiac arrest.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat, found your blog on Google. Have you ever heard of the Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure? We take 5 days each year and bike through a different portion of historic Ohio, usually we do around 50-60 miles per day with optional 'extra credit' loops for the easily bored. We would be honored to have someone of your talent join us, all the information is at http://www.goba.com

Best of luck on the Underground Railway adventure, it's just the sort of thing we like to do and GOMA in the past has sponsored portions of the railway that goes through Ohio.

Pat Crawford said...

GOBA sounds like great fun. If it wasn't so soon after I complete the Underground Railroad, I'd love to join you this year. At least I'll get to enjoy a large part of your state on my way north.

Anonymous said...

Are you really an octogenarian? Jack LaLane has nothing on you!

Pat Crawford said...

Peggy,
No, I'm not an octogenerian. My friend Bob is and I hope to be him when I grow up.