Monday, February 23, 2009

Wheel of Fortune

All of this discussion about equipment and training is great, but I don't want to lose sight of the main reason I'm making this trek to Canada - to raise much needed money to support your favorite programs on WUWF. Contributions from listeners like you account for nearly half the annual operating budget of the station and more importantly, nearly all of the acquisition costs of the programs from National Public Radio, Public Radio International, American Public Media, and others.

I am making this trip because I love public radio, and not just because I have been blessed to have been able to be a part of it since the beginnings of NPR in the early 70s. I am not being paid to do this (it's on my own time) and I am covering all of my expenses (food, equipment, lodging - that's why I plan to mostly camp), so 100% of your contribution goes directly to support those programs you enjoy every day.

I am asking you to support this adventure now. Click on the link Sponsor Pat's Adventure and make your pledge online or call us at (850)474-2787. This is a critical year for your public radio station. We're counting on you. While you're at it, call or drop a line to the corporate sponsors whose logos appear in the column to the right and tell them how much you appreciate their support of your station. Together we can keep this great national treasure alive and well. It doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to propose a bonus pledge level keyed on your performance. Sort of like the early completion bonus contractors get for finishing a project ahead of schedule.

You can set a deadline date to arrive in Canada and suggest donors give an extra $5 per day for every day you finish early!

Anonymous said...

Sharky,
I love a challenge and would go for that in a heartbeat, but my more reasonable colleagues here at WUWF remind me that part of this adventure is exploring the historic Underground Railroad sites and meeting people who live along the route. In other words, stopping to smell the roses is just as important as finishing.

Anonymous said...

Will you carry a Donation Bucket with you so the people you meet can contribute? Just a thought!

Anonymous said...

A donation bucket would be a great idea, but a bit cumbersome. Of course, I will gladly handle any contributions from folks along the way, including giving them the 1-800-239-WUWF number to call in a pledge.

Anonymous said...

I can see it now, Pat, a bucket of money strapped to your helmet. Motorists could toss donations in without even stopping! Too funny! I bet you will get some donations along the way, though, especially if you run into fellow bike fanatics.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog online and thought you might enjoy this video from a bike ride I went on this weekend:

http://vimeo.com/3454457

cheers!

PJ Walker said...

This is an awesome idea! I am addicted to NPR and I love riding my comfort bike. I am not inside the WUWF listening area but I will be following you. If you want a bonus pledge level like Sharky suggests, maybe you could find a local listener to match dollar for dollar the funds you raise along the way. I'll drop you a donation when you come through Charlotte.

Anonymous said...

Trish,
Thanks for the kind words. You will be able to listen to the daily reports online in addition to the blog while I'm on the road. I won't be coming through Charlotte, as my route is more to the west, but it will be great to have you following along via the Web.

pianomom1 said...

Gee, Pat, you look like Einstein on your bike!