Thursday, May 14, 2009

Blown Away in New York


I thought you might enjoy this picture of the mangled mess that was once my great little tent. Last night a storm front moved into the area and brought with it a raging wind that made me feel like I was back in Pensacola during hurricane season.


The locals said I got a good taste of the extreme weather typical along Lake Erie. After about five hours of non-stop blowing, my tent poles finally gave up and twisted themselves into a whole new configuration. I ended up with about eighteen inches of space to sleep in the rest of the night. As soon as daylight arrived, I was up, packed and on the road in hopes of beating the next shower. I didn’t beat it for long. Most of today’s ride was in cold pouring rain. Of course, within an hour of stopping for the day, the sun was out and it had evolved into a beautiful spring afternoon. And I thought the weather changed quickly along the Gulf Coast.

Tonight I am staying just west of Buffalo. In the morning I will ride through the city, check out a few Underground Railroad sites, and cross over the Peace Bridge into Ontario. From there I will approach Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. I hope to be camping right near the falls, which means I have to work on bending my tent back into shape tonight.

Keep those comments coming – I really enjoy reading them! Oh, and don’t forget to contribute to the cause if you haven’t already. Take care and check back tomorrow.

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery

What Do You Think?

As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

3 comments:

Master Yogi said...

He who is without pic-a-nic baskets is one who is indeed lost upon the bike path of life! Mounties of Canadian birth most difficult can be to strangers on titanium steeds! Most fortunate luck I wish upon you!

Master Yogi
Jellystone

rfogle said...

Try to stop by and get some Buffalo wings at the Pearl Street Bar, in Buffalo. The Canadian side is the prettiest way to get to the Falls. If you get a chance ride the Maid of the Mist and visit the Aviary. The birds just fly around in a huge building. Get another tent!

Connie M. said...

If you run into them, be sure to say howdy to my cousins Al and Shirley Rumbles who live on a farm outside Hamilton, Ontario