Friday, May 1, 2009

My Old Kentucky Home

It’s been a great day back in Kentucky, a pleasant ride through the rolling hills of some beautiful rural scenery. The skies were threatening, but once again the rain never materialized. My good fortune with weather on this journey has been remarkable. I was chased by three dogs and an Alpaca.

Okay, he didn’t actually chase me but he was in the road with me – I wanted to take his picture but his canine companion wouldn’t allow me the opportunity – I guess he had escaped from his pasture and the dog was trying to herd him back home). You never know what you are going to encounter on these roads!

I spent a little time this morning visiting the historic sites in Madison before crossing the river back into Kentucky. One neighborhood, Georgetown, has a significant connection to the Underground Railroad. This was where the city’s early free African-Americans settled, and this church,

the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church (built in 1850) was where they worshipped. It is one of the oldest buildings of its kind in America.

Riding into Madison yesterday, I passed by Lancaster, Indiana, home of Eleutherian College. The founders of this college were actively involved in the Underground Railroad as conductors and in providing safe houses to freedom seekers. The school was opened in 1848 as an egalitarian place of higher learning, where students of any race or gender could get an education. The college was also linked to the “Anti-Slavery Baptist Church,” whose congregation met in the college chapel.

In Carrollton today I crossed the Kentucky River before making a rather steep climb to Eagle Station and then on to Sparta, where I had fried cod for lunch at the Sparta Store & Deli. It was the Friday special, so I couldn’t resist. The store is a typical general store with a rather disorganized

eclectic mix of groceries and supplies. There is one table in the place to sit if you want to eat and the menu is simple – fried cod and fries. They have one bathroom with a non-working sink, so you have to go through the kitchen and wash your hands where they wash the dishes. A little scary, but the fish was good nonetheless.

After leaving Sparta, I took a real back road that followed the railroad tracks most of the way until I had to make another steep climb into Dry Ridge. This is where I am camping tonight, although it is doubtful that the ridge will stay dry through the night. Not a problem, as I have the tent fly well secured

and ready for whatever blows my way. Tomorrow I continue my route through Kentucky. It has shifted more away from the river today, but in a couple of days I will be back alongside it just southeast of Cincinnati. If the weather holds out, I should make it to Cincinnati by Monday night. Thank you for your wonderful words of support and your contributions to this extreme fundraising campaign. Together we are keeping the public radio machine cranking along. I will continue blogging through the weekend, so stay tuned ...

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

6 comments:

Ken B. said...

An alpaca, Pat? You saw an aplaca in the road? Hmmmmm. You haven't been into any of the blue grass up there have ya?

Great pictures and keep on rollin!

jing said...

i finally read enough of your blog to understand. i think it's awesome, travelling like that. what is the eta? great pics dude.

cheers.

The Boneys said...

I taught and lived in Versailles and Lexington for 3 years and wish I had seen a fraction of what you have seen in the lovely countryside.Your blogs are fascinating and thanks so much for the great travelogue.Can't wait to see what you discover next!Marcia

Bad Brad and Nicer Nancy said...

I thought an alpaca was like a goat but we just looked it up, it's a member of the camel family. This is the second camel you have seen in Kentucky? Either Ken is right or there is something going on in Kentucky. Aren't these desert animals? Isn't Kentucky humid all year and cold in the winter?

Anyway, awesome photos and bloggery.

Louie said...

Pat, I am enjoying following your blog. I am planning on doing the UGRR in June. From your descriptions and pictures it is even more amazing then I am anticipating.

How many miles per day are you averaging?

Have a safe ride and I will keep checking your blog often.

Jim Lewis
lewis081179@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Pat, you don't need to turn around to paint the house after all...as I was smoking too close to the paint..and the house burned to the ground. Now the church is on the hook to replace it. All the mud work is done (don't worry) but we have scheduled the framing to begin (the day you return). The owner is holding Annie hostage until you show up. I miss her.
Please come home on time, and bring your guns and ammo.
Sincerely
John