Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Guess Where I Am

I rode like the wind today and covered three states: Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York – well, actually I started out in Conneaut which is three miles from the Pennsylvania state line and ended my ride in Ripley, which is less than one mile into New York- but I did it nonetheless (55 miles).

Tonight I am camping on bluffs overlooking Lake Erie. The day started out cold and cloudy but cleared up as I rode and by the time I reached Ripley it was 74 degrees and clear (as you can see from this picture). Storm clouds are gathering as I write this, so I could be in for a wet night.

I have certainly been blessed with good weather on this trip, so I have no reason to complain.

I breezed through Erie about midday and took this excellent bike trail that winds through the downtown waterfront. What a vibrant area and one that is clean and well maintained. From there I spent the next couple of hours riding along the lake shore through Pennsylvania’s wine country.

The grapes are still dormant this time of year, but the vineyards and surrounding countryside are really beautiful. I am seeing a part of Pennsylvania (and New York for that matter) I have never experienced before. It seems hard to believe that day after tomorrow I will be crossing the Peace Bridge from Buffalo into Canada. From there it’s another 281 miles to Owen Sound. What a grand adventure this has been! Your comments, contributions, prayers and good thoughts have really carried me along – thank you!

Tomorrow I continue heading east along the lake. When I reach Buffalo on Friday I will turn north again and head straight for Owen Sound. I’m not sure how well I will be able to communicate once I am in Canada, but we’ll find out soon enough. Have a good evening, stay well, and check back tomorrow for the latest update.

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery

What Do You Think?

As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

6 comments:

MOORE said...

cONGRATULATIONS, pAT! yOU ARE SO BRAVE! mONICA & gREG

The Boneys said...

Bully for you!!! We certainly hope you can get blogs through as you finish.Perhaps you can get the Canadians to carry the bagpipes,too.Maybe your benefactor would let you play them as you celebrate your return home and still give you the donation.That would make a royal finish and we'd all come to the party.

Bob and Doug McKenzie said...

Make sure you get one of those back bacon, egg,and dill pickle sandwiches! Sounds a bit odd but they are delicious, especially on toasted sourdough bread with hot mustard and sauerkraut.

Clete said...

The Canadian Dollar is $1.17 US, so you'll be spending a bit more up there, not a lot, just 17 cents for each dollar. The back bacon is good but try the moose burgers, mighty tasty!

Yoda said...

Strong with you The Force is, Patrick. Yes, soon now will be you in The Great White North. No wise Jedi Burgers of Moose will eat. Stay with The Force. Great it is in you.

James W. Stegall said...

Dear Pat...Have been a bit busy....I have been trying to keep up on the radio reports each morning...You are to be commended for such great work ...the history lessons are superb...Belive me we did not have anything close to what you are teaching us about the underground railroad when I was in school ....I hope the schools here in Pensacola are using your blogs in their history classes...Please write a book and donate the profits to public radio...I will definitely buy one...So you have not seen anymore camels...
Well,rest easy I will make that contribution to benefit public radio...Hope the tent is fairing better after the storm..been there, done that...Take care and may the swartz be with you and hope you have a great ending when you reach Owens Bay,Ontario...Be safe....With admiration, James W.Stegall