Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spinning Heaven in Ohio

Kudos to the state of Ohio for creating an amazing set of rails-to-trails bike routes. Today I enjoyed a most pleasant ride on the fifty mile long Little Miami Scenic Trail, one of the longest paved rail-trails in America. Look closely at this picture – how could you not have a good day riding on this?

And it’s flat, too! Still not impressed? Take a look at some more of the scenery surrounding me for most of the day:

The original tracks that followed this route carried the Little Miami Railroad, running from eastern Cincinnati to Xenia, where it linked up with its partner line, the Columbus and Xenia Railroad, to make the first rail connection between the state capital of Columbus and Cincinnati.

When the trains stopped running in the 1970s, the route was converted to its current use.

This morning I left Cold Spring, Kentucky and crossed over the Ohio River into Cincinnati via the Purple People Pedestrian Bridge. I could find no signage explaining its origin, and I haven’t been able to research it.

It’s not purple – at least not now.

It appears to be an old bridge taken out of service and now allowing only pedestrian and bicycle access.

Once in the city, I made my way to the home of Harriet Beecher Stowe. A prolific writer, she wrote a book a year for nearly thirty years of her life. Her most famous book, of course, was Uncle Tom’s Cabin, inspired as I mentioned in an earlier blog by her visits to Old Washington and Ripley.

As the most popular novel of its century, the book was believed to be possibly the most influential factor in popularizing the cause of anti-slavery. As such, it made her an icon of the American anti-slavery movement.

Tomorrow I take a side trip to visit the community of Springboro, an original Quaker settlement and one of the most frequented stopovers for freedom seekers. After that, I continue along the Little Miami Scenic Trail to the towns of Xenia and Wilberforce.

Just a reminder: this trek is a FUNDRAISER. I am on my own, covering ALL of my expenses. 100% of your contribution goes directly to support the programs on WUWF. The contributions are slowing down, just as I am speeding up. Let’s make this thing work – I’m doing my part – how about you? To those who have already done so, THANK YOU! You know how much I appreciate your support.

Tune in tomorrow for the latest updates. Peace out!

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery

What Do You Think?

As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

5 comments:

Rex said...

Pat, the Purple people Bridge was actually bright purple when it was dedicated in 2003. It's an old railroad bridge the opened for business in 1871. It was closed to trains and everything else in 2001 and rennovated into a pedestrian walkway from Newort, Kansas to Dowtown Cinicnnati.

It has faded over the years and funding is being raised for a fresh coat. People here love it! You can park in Newport and cross on foot, catch a pro baseball or football game and eat in any one of dozens of great restaurants.

Glad you found it!

Wheels said...

Rails to Trails Rock!!!!!!!!

Charles Kennedy, Jr. said...

It would be interesting to compare the map of slave states with today's "red/blue" mapping and see to what extent the racial oppression of the our country's early years mirrors today's neoconservative attempt at oppressing social freedoms.

Nancy in Rockport said...

Pat, I was intrigued by Charles' comment and I am sad but not really surprised to say that the slave states in 1860 (with the exception of Florida in 2008) are now all RED and the free states in 1860 are now all BLUE!

This information is readibly available and can be found via Google in just a few minutes of digging.

Anonymous said...

Pat, I was cruising on Cross street in Pensacola when Annie showed me where a juke joint was in the 1960's. Upstairs was the hotel; the only one to serve blacks in the downtown area.
It astounds me what we have done to each other over the years, and it is astonishing what you are doing on these days. It is a wonderful thing; please know that our hearts are with you.

John and Annie