Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mood Indigo

Okay, this is the punch line to a really lame joke my father used to tell me. Unless you are even older than me or a Duke Ellington fan, it will be lost on you (as it was on me for years). It goes like this: “What happened to the cow that ate the bluegrass? He Mood Indigo.”

I told you it was lame. Anyway, when I passed this herd on my route today I suddenly remembered it from my childhood and felt the need to share it with you.

I really did see some beautiful bluegrass as I navigated the rolling hills from Dry Ridge to Maysville (about 70 miles). I am spending my last night in Kentucky here in Maysville, and in the morning I am going to explore the great Underground Railroad sites both here and in Old Washington before crossing the Ohio River into Ohio.

There I will be visiting the town of Ripley, another significant player in the anti-slavery movement. I will have much to blog about tomorrow, as these sites are well documented. The Ohio River Valley is proud of its role in the freedom trail and has done an excellent job of documenting and preserving this important part of our history.

I passed near Augusta today, where the only two Kentucky sites listed as members of the Park Service’s National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program are located. One is the farm of John Gregg Fee, Kentucky’s most outspoken abolitionist and founder of Berea College. The other is White Hall, the home of abolitionists and Underground Railroad conductors Arthur Thome and his son James. Unfortunately, neither site is open to the public.

The weather last night in Dry Ridge was anything but dry. The nice folks at the I-75 Campground were kind enough to let me put my tent, bike and gear on the screen porch of a vacant cabin, so I didn’t get blown away by the storm. The folks at Cracker Barrel were also great –

very interested in what I was doing – and even gave me my dinner on the house! I continue to be delighted (but not surprised) at the kindness extended to me by everyone I meet on this journey. God bless ‘em all!

Since this is my last night in Kentucky, it is time to set the record straight about loose dogs, When I was researching this trip, the word was that Kentucky had the worst reputation for dog encounters with cyclists. I’m here to tell you it just isn’t true. In fact, Kentucky dogs are the best. They are either fenced, tied up, or exceedingly well-behaved. I was only chased once today, and even then the pup conducted himself in a most respectful manner in regards to rules of engagement. From my experience thus far, Mississippi takes the prize for most loose and ill-mannered canines per mile.

In spite of my numerous encounters with dogs since leaving Pensacola, I have not had to use pepper spray even once. My trusty EcoBlast rechargeable air horn has stopped all but one dog in its tracks (and he just wanted to “tag” me for sport). I heartily endorse the EcoBlast as the humane and environmentally-friendly way (you just use your bike pump to refill it) to handle those overzealous canines who want to mix it up with you. As you can see from the picture, I keep mine in the water bottle holder directly behind my seat. I think of it as my “holster” and have become quite adept at quickly drawing my weapon while pedaling furiously (I only use it if I can’t outrun the dog).

Time to call it a night – I am looking forward to rolling into Ohio in the morning. Keep those comments and contributions to the cause coming in, and check back tomorrow night for the latest blog update. Peace be with you!

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery

What Do You Think?

As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Bet those bovines were In the Mood, too.

Missed your posts. Now facebook has competition again!

The Boneys said...

I forgot to ask you to look out for the lovely old dry-stone walls in the bluegrass country.They were the distinctive features of the back roads and byways over 50 years ago.I hope some are still there and you got to see them.It is the only section of the country where they used to be the standard fencing for pastures and woodlands.The white fences for the horse farms were a modern invention.

Thanks again for the super travelogue.

Kris Perry said...

I kind of liked the Mood Indigo joke. It reminded me of some of the jokes my dad used to tell.
I'm really enjoying your blog and pictures.