Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bay Minette, Falafel Capitol of the South

Here is a picture of Zuhair Al-Azzeh, proprietor of Al’s Sandwich Shop in Bay Minette, with his crew. They treated me to the best falafel I have ever put in my mouth for lunch, followed by some very tasty baklava (and a supply for the road!). What a treat it was. Originally from Bethlehem, he opened this restaurant in March. If you are traveling through the area, try it out.


After a nice evening hanging out with the guys at the Atmore Fire Department and enjoying their hospitality, I headed for Stockton this morning. It was colder than yesterday, but the wind was somewhat calmer and the ride was pleasant with good roads all the way. I encountered some wildlife – egrets, wild turkey, and two dogs who thought they were wild. I let them get right to my heel before I blasted them with my air horn. It worked like a charm.

In my picture gallery, I have some shots of my campsite in Atmore and also the great place I’m staying tonight – a house on Tensaw Lake at Hubbard’s Landing, about six miles north of Stockton. This is complements of my friend Jim Brazil – thank you Jim! From the pictures you’ll see how high the water is right now. It feels like I’m staying on a really nice houseboat. It’ll be hard to leave in the morning, but this adventure is going so well I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings. The number of people who are supporting this fund raiser for WUWF is growing daily – THANK YOU ALL! I’ll check back in tomorrow ...

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

7 comments:

Bennett said...

Wow, day number two and already you mooched a house to stay in and keep warm overnight. Keep up the posts and keep us informed about the great road food, sausage dogs and falafel, mmmmm! The best part about road trips on the back routes is all the wonderful food (and people) you encounter. Stay warm and Keep on Bikin'!

Rodney said...

Firemen Rule!

Anonymous said...

You should have taken a collapsible canoe with you for some nice outings on the water, beautiful country down there where you are going through right now, and some great fishing.

Anita Schmitt said...

I can't wait to get back to school on Monday. My 5th graders are out on Spring Break now, but we are in the midst of studying the Civil War of which the Underground Railroad was an integral part. We have been looking forward to tracking your progress on this journey. Best of luck!
Anita

JT said...

Are you going to Grove Hill? From Stoclton? Man, you are in the middle of nowhere! I hope you brought enough food and water!

Anonymous said...

What an adventure to follow.
I am addicted to your blogs, so please keep us informed. As a UWF grad, you are a true inspiration to us the old people (I am the same age as you) Keep up the daily blogs and I ll check check on you.

Unknown said...

Our mutual friend Bill Ford told us about your trip, and we have enjoyed your blogs so far. We truly regret that we will probably not be in Louisville when you get here. However, I would like to put you in touch with two good friends--biking and Public radio fans as well, who I know would love to see you when you pass through. May I tell them and encourage them to contact you? Is this "comment" square the only way to communicate with you?
Catherine and +David Reed