Friday, April 24, 2009

The Hundred Acre Wood

(Blog entry delayed due to technical problems.)This picture doesn’t even come close to capturing the beauty and tranquility of the spot where I’m camping tonight in Vastwood Park, a county park located about 2 miles north of Hawesville, KY. It is clear but breezy with the temperature around 78 degrees. Today’s ride was relatively short (39 miles) and easy – I arrived in Hawesville around lunch time and had the vegetable plate at Irby’s Restaurant on Main Street before heading to the campground.

You can see the bridge crossing the Ohio River to Indiana in the background. The roads I am riding are closely following the Ohio River as it twists and turns, outlining the Western border of Kentucky. I have actually been riding more East than North the past few days. The Underground Railroad Route follows the rivers,

so it is by no means a straight shot North. If you check out the satellite image map, you will see that I am beginning my Eastern arc to align myself with Ohio and ultimately Niagara where I will cross over into Canada. The mileage from Pensacola to Ontario would be much less on a more deliberate Northern route, but that’s not the point of this journey.

I am meeting a lot of nice folks here at Vastwood. It is a popular camping place for the locals on the weekends, and it is the weekend after all (although I tend to lose track of the days on the road). I need to get to bed early tonight and get an early start in the morning – it’s about 60 miles to Brandenburg, tomorrow’s destination.

Your comments continue to keep me amused and motivated. As to the question today about supplements, I take only Glucosamine for my knees and I drink a soy protein shake that I mix with milk every day to give me the vitamins and minerals I need. An occasional sweet tea or Coke gives me my caffeine kick when I need it. Otherwise, the excitement of the trip itself keeps me fired up and ready to ride every day.

I will continue to blog through the weekend, so don’t forget to check back tomorrow. Thanks for following – catch you later!

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

2 comments:

Sandra G said...

Pat,

The pictures and blogs are great! AND, very educational too! I've been across that bridge going into Indiana many times to visit a friend who lives in Greenwood, Indiana. I left you an email today so I hope you get it. Be safe!

Joyce said...

Pat, I sent you an e-mail before you left about my family being part of the underground railroad. Hope you got it. My family was in Nobles county. You might run across Fort Burris -- if you do that is where they did most of there communications but had a house further down on the Ohio. Hope if you see it you will take a picture for me. Thanks and God Bless Joyce