Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Light from Darkness

I was in my tent waiting out a passing storm and working on this blog when I glanced up and saw this beautiful rainbow right in the midst of the gathering storm clouds. Wow – the picture doesn’t do it justice.

I am camping tonight (Monday 4/13) on Aberdeen Lake, my tent literally five feet from the water and I am surrounded by Canadian geese (snow birds, perhaps?). I am beginning to really like this nomadic back to nature way of life.

After the storm from last night passed this morning, the ride from Columbus went well. This part of Mississippi is flatter and more farm-like than the roads I’ve traveled in Alabama. I actually miss the hills and timberland. Oh well, I’ll be in Tennessee soon enough and be wishing for a long flat road.

I crossed the Tennessee – Tombigbee Waterway today. It is a 234-mile artificial waterway that connects the Tennessee and Tombigbee rivers. The idea was born in 1760, but it took until 1946 for Congress to approve it and construction didn’t begin until 1971. Over the next 15 years, environmentalists and the L&N Railroad filed numerous lawsuits to stop it, but finally after 12 years of construction, the waterway and its 17 public ports and terminals opened to commercial traffic in 1985. Okay, that’s your history lesson for today.

Here’s another picture of my campsite at Aberdeen Lake. I am grateful for the opportunity to experience this kind of beauty and adventure and appreciate that you are following along.

I also appreciate the many comments that you have been making (keep it up) and the contributions you have been making to this important campaign for WUWF (keep that up too!) I was asked today why I hadn’t commented on my physical condition like I did on my walk to Washington (it was all about the feet, after all). Well, everything is working nicely for both me and the bike – except for the rear tire, which is on its third tube and still can’t stay fully inflated for more than a few hours.

Okay, you seasoned cyclists out there, any ideas? I have checked the rim for spurs and the tire for any foreign objects and I can’t see anything. Any and all advice is appreciated. I’m heading for Fulton in the morning. Tune in at 7:30am during Morning Edition for the latest update.

Peace out!

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

13 comments:

beetdog said...

Pat - Look at your bad tube and find the leak area. Match that to where it was in your wheel and search for the problem there. If all else fails, stop at a wal mart and get some Slime to put inside the tire.

beetdog said...

Or, rather, Slime inside the tube.

beetdog said...

By the way, I thought the support van following you was carrying spare wheels etc ! Are the girls getting caught up on their sun bathing ???

Ginny Sullivan said...

Hi Pat,
Not sure what to do about the irksome tire but I just wanted to extend my appreciation for your trip, the wonderful entries and awesome photos! I would encourage you to post these on Adventure Cycling's Flickr account when you finish your journey. Please call us if you need anything while on your trip! All the best! Ginny on behalf of Adventure Cycling staff.

Anonymous said...

When you described the rainbow and it's reflection this morning, I could not wait to see the picture. What a great picture. Makes you marvel at natures beauty!

Ken B. said...

Any good road food, today?

Rusty said...

See if you can find a place selling Mississippi Style BBQ Pork Loin, it has its own out of this world flavor. Old timers call it Hot Pig, because of the spicey flavor.

John C, Lowe said...

What a great picture of the rainbow. My students were fascinated by the picture and some were even excited by some of the pictures that they recognized places where they had been. We pinpointed your place on the map. We have access to your blog, so we will be keeping in touch more often. Your view of nature inspires me.

Scott Westmark said...

Hi Pat! Kaye and I were out of town when you left, so we want to belatedly wish you well on the journey. We've been following your blog. Enjoy that open road!

corey pitman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lee said...

I think its great you are doing this.
I also plan on doing the UGRR in September for veteran issues (www.mybigride09.com) I will keep up with your blog and trip

Lee

Steve Fox said...

Your tire: You may be the victim of those tiny wires that come from blown car and truck radials. The ones I have experienced are about 1/8th of an inch long as thin as a human hair. They are hard to locate.

If, in future, you see that radial stuff on the road (some call them "alligators," give it a wide berth.

Mary Trapp said...

Hi Pat,

What an amazing undertaking! I very much enjoy reading your journal/history lesson, especially since I recently read Uncle Tom's Cabin. Your photos are stunning. Hey, do you think the air horn would work on squirrels? :~) Happy and safe traveling!