Saturday, April 11, 2009

Chillin’ in Linden

Anticipating rain this morning (Friday April 10th), I had my full rain gear on the bike as I left the Coffeeville Dairy Bar. Leaving as soon as the sun came up, I covered the 56 miles to Linden by early afternoon (ahead of the rain). It was another great ride through scenic rolling hills.

No canine buddies today, but another flat tire (bummer!). As soon as I rolled into town, I checked in to the Linden Inn. After a hot shower and a nap, I did some laundry and bike maintenance. Now I am relaxing and mapping out tomorrow’s route.

My late night blog when I was at Hubbard’s Landing got lost in the Ethernet. That was the night I was treated to dinner at the Stagecoach Restaurant in Stockton by loyal WUWF supporters Jim and Marianne Eddins. They operate the Perdido Vineyards, one of several burgeoning wineries in Alabama. I enjoyed a bottle of their muscadine grape juice with my breakfast the next morning. Thank you Jim and Marianne!

While I will be continuing my trek over the weekend, I won’t be blogging again until Monday. Also on Monday I will be calling John Lowe’s 8th Grade reading class at Ransom Middle School to begin my weekly dialogue with them about the Underground Railroad.

Have a blessed weekend and tune in Monday morning for more news from the road.

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.
What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey glad you beat the rain.
You are the first thing I read when I turn on the computer

P. Cottontail said...

People are good, man! You are just proving the point. I was touched when I read about the Dairy Bar insisting you stay inside, a total stranger who could have ripped them off, but they trusted you! You will totally have to write a book after all of your adventures. Hippity Hop and Happy Easter!

Anita Mays said...

I am a proud descendant of African slaves and a proud American citizen and voter. My parents were hard working, moral and upstanding people yet they remember being denied the right to vote. I was the first in my family to attend an integrated public school and the first to graduate from college.

I was taught as a child the wonderful folk stories about the human spirit that allowed the Underground Railroad to exist.

I am amazed and very thankful that those outside the African American culture remember those brave souls who quested for freedom so very long ago.

God bless, you Mr. Crawford and have a safe and enlightening journey. Listen to the wind, all the old stories are there for those who choose to hear.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Pat !!
I missed having you sing beside me this morning in the Christ Church choir. We sang the Mozart Gloria (K.317, I think ) and the Ad regias by Quentin Faulkner. Both sounded wonderful from our row in the bass section .

Easter was beautiful. I hope that you took the day to rest, and found some friendly Alabama folks to share the day.

Peace and Blessings, Fred Sitten

Anonymous said...

Pat, We Baha'i ladies met you during the pledge campaign at the radio station. We were fascinated by your trip and I am happy to see that you are progressing along your way. God bless you and keep you safe on this incredible journey.