Monday, April 20, 2009

Prairie Home Companions

When I started out from Dover this morning, it looked like it was going to be another rainy day. After a couple of hours of riding a strong headwind out of the north really slowed me down, but it did blow the rain clouds to the south and afforded me a beautiful blue sky.

This lasted until mid afternoon when the wind pushed in another storm front and gave me a brief but soaking shower. Since then it has been raining off and on and the temperature has dropped considerably.

Most of my ride today was through the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area (or “LBL” as the locals call it), a beautiful nature and wildlife preserve that runs between Kentucky Lake (fed by the Tennessee River) and Lake Barkley (fed by the Cumberland River). This herd of American Bison was grazing in the Elk & Bison Prairie, a 700-acre restoration of Kentucky’s native barrens as they existed during the time when this area was populated by Native Americans. The Bison did not chase me. In fact, nothing chased me today. I guess a nature preserve is a pretty safe place to ride.

This is the remains of the Great Western Furnace. Built in 1854 by Brian, Newall & Company, this steam cold-blast charcoal furnace was built of limestone from the surrounding hills. Brown iron-ore came from shallow deposits nearby.

The pig-iron produced by this furnace was shipped by river or hauled to rolling mills to the east. It closed after only two years, due to a lack of sufficient ore, a slave insurrection by the furnace crew, and the fact that the owners had overextended themselves with other investments. I guess they didn’t qualify for the economic stimulus package of 1856.

Tonight I am staying in Grand Rivers, Kentucky, the village between the lakes, a couple of miles north of LBL. For those of you who are keeping track of the good eating places, Patti’s 1880’s Settlement & Restaurant is a must. They are known for their world famous pork chops and amazing desserts – I had the chop and the most amazing piece of Chess pie I have ever tasted – five stars for sure!

LBL and Grand Rivers really experienced a nasty ice storm this winter and the damage to the trees is still very visible. I had hoped to camp at the Corps of Engineers campground on the canal here in Grand Rivers, but the storm completely wiped it out. Some of the trails in LBL are still closed because of downed trees. The ride today was really hilly and with the overall elevation rising, it was a series of climbs and plateaus with not many downhill glides.

It was a beautiful day nonetheless, and I am grateful for the mostly great weather I have had so far. Today is the first day of my third week on the road – I have now ridden 750 miles.

Your comments and contributions to this fundraising adventure are most appreciated. Thanks for the dromedary challenge, Jim – will you triple your pledge if I get a camel to chase me? Let’s continue to have fun with this trip and preserve public radio as well. It’s great having so many of you following along.

Oh well, time to wrap up – if all goes well tomorrow I’ll be camping at Cave In Rock in Southern Illinois. Catch you later...

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

5 comments:

Ken B. said...

Pat, do they eat the bison up there? I know out west you can find bison burgers and bison steaks. Please try one and report back on the taste.

First camels, now bison, what's next, lions and tigers and bears? Oh, my! I will TRIPLE my pledge if you get chased by a bison and QUADRUPLE it if you get chased by a bear riding a tiny bicycle (like you see at the circus).

Thanks for the laughs and keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Bison! I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potato, a big Kosher pickle and a cold draught beer!

Seriously, bison are good eats. You can buy bison burgers and steaks online, the meat is so lean and tasty, makes beef cows jealous!

Keep on peddalin' and by all means try some bison if you run across a place selling it.

Tammy and Lyssie Lakatos said...

Bison is a good source of many nutrients, including, zinc, iron, niacin, phosphorous, Vitamin B6 and selenium. In addition, each 3 ounce serving contains a good deal of protein—about 24 grams.

Surprisingly, bison is one of the leanest meats—it’s even lower in calories and fat than skinless grilled chicken breast.

Best of luck on your journey!

Josh said...

Pat, try Gee Jay's Cafe in Cave in Rock (142 E Main). I was there on March 31st so I know they are still in business unlike that other place you tried down south.

Blue Gill was the special of the day when I went through last month. They were the biggest blue gill filets I had ever seen and done to perfection! It was incredible. Everything was home made, bread, rolls, even the fish was caught by the chef's son! Nothing out of a can. Killer deserts, 2!

Jim said...

Thanks for you blogs and the adventure you are taking us.

Being a UWF grad in History, you have made this journey truely exciting.
I follow you each day