Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On A Tire and A Prayer

My tire changing experience yesterday got me thinking about prayer. I have had this discussion recently with someone very dear to me. Some people spend their whole lives in earnest prayer but are never quite sure that any of their prayers are really answered. Even Mother Teresa had her doubts. Not me. Maybe I’m just extremely blessed or because so many others are praying for my well being on this trip I somehow got in the express lane. Or maybe it’s because my prayers are generally very pragmatic and focused on something that needs resolution in a very short time frame, like when the pack of pit bulls came after me on my walk to Washington.

It’s much easier to gauge the effectiveness of prayer in a situation that needs immediate attention. Take yesterday for example. Now changing a tire may not rank up there with curing cancer or bringing about world peace, but to me it was more than just about the tire. After training for a year on one type of tire, I decided about a month ago to upgrade to a more rugged brand. My original tires were very easy to change, but more susceptible to flats. In fact, I probably changed ten of them during my training with no problem. The rigidity of the new tires makes them very had to get back on the rim after the tube is replaced. I discovered to my dismay when I had a flat the the day before I left that I was unable to get the tire back on without destroying the tube. After ruining three tubes, I went to the dealer and got some guidance as I watched him do it. Watching him did not really convince me that I could actually do it myself, and left me feeling a bit anxious about it. This is a big deal – if I can’t change a tire, I’m not going to get very far on this journey.

Now the big day of my departure comes and less than a mile from the Coffee Cup, my rear tire goes nearly flat. It’s a slow leak, I tell myself as I stop and pump some air into it. I’ll just keep an eye on it and change it later (ha!). After pumping it up every five miles, it final gives out just north of Molino. This is my moment of truth. As I get the tire off the rim and replace the tube, the praying begins in earnest. God, guide my hand as I put this tire back on the rim and protect this precious tube (I wonder if surgeon’s have similar prayers? Of course, not – they think they are God – just kidding). As I repeat this prayer over and over like a mantra, the tire slips onto the rim. After inflating the tube and hearing no escaping air, I give thanks for this blessing and reflect on how big a deal this is. The journey has just begun, but the prayer groups are working overtime. Thank you and bless you all! I’ll check back in tonight with my regular daily blog ...

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

4 comments:

spokes said...

Hi Pat, I'm glad you know how valuable it is to be able to communicate with the One who has the power.Sometimes we think our problem is too petty but it is still an overwhelming problem for us.The Bible tells us that we should always be in an attitude of prayer. So I guess we can thank God and ask for help any time, any where.

Jeb said...

Hello Pat, this is Jeb from ICON at First Methodist. I am really enjoying reading your blog..I look forward to reading about the journey ahead...God bless.

Phil said...

See? That flat you got last weekend proved to be your saving grace on Monday! Funny how it all works out sometimes!

john-N-annie said...

Pat, you need to turn around to finish the painting...