Wednesday, April 8, 2009

In the Pour House

I am sitting in Grove Hill's favorite local restaurant, Gloria's Pour House Cafe, the perfect finish to an excellent day of riding. Gloria has Wi-Fi and cell phone service here is good - yea! Got to keep the technology going. The weather today was perfect - sunny, cool, great scenery, and with only a moderate head wind - making for a good ride.

County Road 1 from Chrysler to Perdue Hill was a cyclist's dream - smooth pavement and virtually no traffic. The number of dogs that chased me more than compensated for the light traffic, but even that was no big deal. With the good riding conditions, I was able to outrun them all. It's all about getting past their "zone" of protection - they are just doing their job, after all, and once they feel like they have kept me from getting to their property they retreat to their favorite shady spot. I think that cyclists are a form of entertainment on an otherwise pretty quiet road.

The entire ride today was about 75 miles from Hubbard's Landing to Grove Hill. When I got here, I checked in at Town Hall and got permission to camp in City Park. The police said they would keep an eye on me (so stop worrying, Morgan!). When I finish blogging, I'm heading there to pitch my tent.

Tomorrow will be a moderate ride to Coffeeville. I picked that location to stop because there is an Army Corps of Engineering campground there on the Tombigbee River - they are always well maintained (with showers, which I won't have tonight). Listen to my report at 7:35 in the morning and I'll check back in tomorrow...

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

5 comments:

John Lowe said...

Hello Pat,
It's John C. Lowe. Sorry I wasn't able to see you off. I was in Asheville, NC. I am astounded by your progress. KEEP IT UP WE'RE ALL PULLING FOR YOU.

Anne B. said...

That little coffee shop has wi-fi? I am impressed! I guess it's truly the 21st Century now! Best of luck, how was the food at Gloria's? i bet it was scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

Pat, Wanted to be sure you knew of warmshowes.org. Long distance bikers who provide bed and bath to fellow cyclers. Fare well and peace be with you.
Sharon G.

Grady said...

Just heard your afternoon report on Thursday, where are you going tomorrow? into Mississippi or further north into Alabama, I might have missed what you said, anyway great adventure ur having! Wish I was in good enough shape to join you!

Rio said...

Hello Pat!
I just want to wish you well on your sojourn. Your notes bring back found memeries of my first ever self-supported tour on the UGRR. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure.