Sunday, April 26, 2009

Through the Back Door




After a restful night camping beside Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Brandenburg, I enjoyed a big breakfast at Perna’s Place (I didn’t really have to use the back door) before sharing Eucharist with the congregation. What a delightful group of fellow Episcopalians!



After leaving Brandenburg, it was a short hop across the Ohio River into Indiana for a pleasant afternoon ride through the rolling hills leading to New Albany, where I ended my day’s journey.

For those of you who worry about my safety riding in traffic, here’s a picture I took today as I was leaving Corydon, Indiana. This is typical of the kind of back roads I have been travelling on this trip. The Adventure Cycling Association folks who map these routes go to great lengths to avoid the main roads and as a result, I get to enjoy a safe, scenic and tranquil ride. There is the occasional loose dog, but since we established the dollar-a-dog pledge level they have all but abandoned me. For those keeping track, I have only been chased four times since Thursday.

I had lunch today at Magdalena’s Café in downtown Corydon, right across the street from the Capitol Building. The capital of Indiana Territory was moved to Corydon from Vincennes in 1813 and this building became the first State Capitol in 1816, before the capital was moved to Indianapolis in 1825.

You know you are in Indiana when you start to see these signs. White Castle is somewhat of a sacred tradition for folks living in this part of the country. I’m not a big fan of “sliders” myself, but I do appreciate their significance as a Midwestern cultural icon.


As I mentioned earlier, I made it to New Albany today, which is located directly across the river from Louisville, Kentucky. It’s Derby Week, although I won’t be staying around for the big race. I have the good fortune of being hosted by Bob and Serena Weiss, who live just outside of New Albany.

Serena is the sister of WUWF’s own Joe Vincenza, and she and Bob are most gracious to allow me the opportunity to take a break from the road. Since I have ridden for three weeks without a break, I am going to take my bike to the local bike shop for some minor repairs in the morning and then after my morning and afternoon reports on air, I am going off-road and off-line for a couple of days. Don’t worry about me and don’t expect another report or blog entry until Thursday when I am back on the road.

Thank you for following along and special thanks to those of you who have contributed to this extreme fundraising campaign. If you haven’t made your contribution, you can do it right here online. Together we are enjoying a great adventure and supporting a great cause – the programs you love on public radio.

Louisville is approximately half way to my final destination in Ontario, as I have logged close to 1100 miles. Take care and check back on Thursday as the journey continues.

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

11 comments:

The Boneys said...

Have a good well-deserved respite! We are glad you are with friends and we hope the rains pass you by before you start out again. God Bless! the Boneys

Nancy and Rex said...

We all hope both you and the bike are well rested before you start out again. You have done an amazing thing and everybody here is wishing you the best. The maps and the blog and audio reports online are fantastic, makes us wish we were riding along with you!

Sharon said...

Whooeee. About half way. I'm impressed. Have a peaceful time off.

Scott Westmark said...

You sounded tired this morning on the radio. How many miles do you usually ride each day? Enjoy your rest days!

Kumar Patel said...

As a burger gourmet, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that if you're craving White Castle, other burgers just don't cut it.

In fact, just thinking about those tender little White Castle burgers with those little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in your mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one, it makes me want to drive to White Castle right now and order 40 of them!

James W. Stegall said...

Dear Pat, Glad to hear everthing is going so well...really makes you want to visit this lovely country.......I have traveled in the Lexington and Louisville area...it is so beautiful in the spring...Have a great time off ....you deserve it ...Be safe and God speed ..........PS...Find another camel and get him to chase you and I will triple my pledge.........Sincerely, James W. Stegall,Pensacola

Luke Simms said...

Pat,

I have been a fan of yours for years, and have enjoyed your many adventures both with and without the band! I still have your first record, probably like to forget that one, huh? You were kind enough to autograph it for me at the Con last August in Orlando.

Best of luck and keep on rolling!

Rebecca Martin said...

Hi Pat!
My husband and I met you at Land Between the Lakes and since we've been home I've been catching up on all your adventures. Let me say..Im impressed! I think its wonderful what you are doing and I wish you much luck!

Jackson said...

Bon Voyage on Part Two! Be sure to blog today so we can catch up, a lot of us are going through blog withdrawal. Take lots of new photos, too!

Good Luck!

Pete and Bev said...

Heard you made it to Madison, way to go! I hope you see Clifty Falls, it's breath taking! eagerly awaiting your new blog post, keep safe!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Pat !
RadioLive is on WUWF with you and Caroline Aiken and Kevin Danzig. You look great. RadioLive keeps on running since you started it back in 1988, I think.

Enjoy the ride,

Fred Sitten