Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hooking Up in Brandenburg

... to the internet, that is.

After a breakdown in communications while camping in the wild last night, it was more than a pleasant surprise while rolling along the waterfront in Brandenburg, KY to stumble upon the Main Street Café.

It's an Internet café in a restored historic property overlooking the Ohio River.




This place is a blogger’s dream come true - great food and connectivity! If you come anywhere near Brandenburg, a visit to the Main Street Café is a must.




Here is a picture of my communications equipment that I use when there is no connectivity. I prepare my blog and pictures on my Netbook, transfer the files to my smart phone, and use the phone to send the blog to WUWF’s Internet guru John Macdonell. This has worked perfectly the entire trip until last night.

Apparently I was in an area where competing service providers don’t play nice, so I was shut out by one of Verizon’s competitors. By tomorrow I should be in a friendlier cell zone again.

Passing this buggy warning sign today reminded me of growing up in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with its Mennonite population. Apparently this area has quite a few Mennonite, Amish, and Quaker families. All of these folks played a significant role in the

Underground Railroad, shepherding runaway slaves across the river to freedom.

Thanks to the efforts of David Reed, retired Bishop of Kentucky, I am camping tonight next to Holy Trinity Episcopal Church here in Brandenburg. I will be up early in the morning to pack up the bike and look forward to attending the service before heading out towards New Albany, Indiana. Tomorrow will be my first foray into the Hoosier State on this trip. Oh well, time for me to wrap this up and set up camp for the night. Check back with me tomorrow.

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

2 comments:

Brad Westbrook said...

Incredible photos, as usual, Patrick. Keep up the good work and sleep snug in the "churchyard."

Anonymous said...

It was a blessing to share communion with you at Holy Trinity this morning. Good luck on your journey. I have the photos we took if you would like them, let me know how to get them to you. I have posted them at facebook as well.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=703558911&ref=name

peace
tony