Friday, April 17, 2009

The Mighty Tennessee










The weather could not have been more perfect today as I crossed another section of the beautiful Tennessee River near Saltillo. I had a nice afternoon yesterday in Savannah and visited the burial site of Alex and Queen Haley, the grandparents of Roots author Alex Haley. I left my camera in my room, so I didn’t get a picture.

The terrain is definitely getting more hilly as I move north through the state and my legs are feeling it. All in all, the bike and I are both holding up pretty well. I may have to adjust my daily mileage expectation, as the locals here tell me the hills I climbed today are nothing compared to what tomorrow will bring. I had a great lunch at a meat n’ three establishment, The Midway CafĂ©, in Decaturville. The folks there were really nice and one gentleman even paid for my lunch – people are inherently kind and good – don’t believe otherwise.

Tonight I am camping in a heavily wooded area called Mousetail Landing. Getting here was fun – the last mile was about a 45 degree incline – I pushed the bike most of the way up and even that was a chore. Oh well, at least I get a nice ride downhill first thing in the morning. I’m going to try to get an early start and see if I can beat the rain that is forecast for the weekend.

I will continue to post my blogs through the weekend, even though I won’t be making any live call-in reports again until Monday morning. I continue to enjoy the many comments you are making and the words of advice and encouragement. If you have a question that you want me to respond to you directly about, make sure you put your e-mail address in the comment. I also appreciate so very much the contributions you are making to this important cause. Take care and I’ll be in touch tomorrow.

P.S. – Wouldn’t you know it – right after I come up with my Dollar-A-Dog idea, I have no encounters today. I’m not complaining – it’ll be hard to outrun anything on these hills!

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

7 comments:

Jenny and Norman Layton said...

Our son is in the Navy and is in Pensacola right now and he told us all about your trip. We live in Dover, Tennessee, just east of the river. You must be coming up this way through Oak Hill I bet. It's God's Country here.

Bless you for remembering the Underground Railroad and we appreciated you visiting the graves of the Haley family. From hearing my son talk and from reading about your passion for the trip I thught you must be African-American. What a pleasant surprise to find a white person who is not afraid to mingle. We especially enjoyed the pictures from Easter in Alabama.

Thank you.

Chuck said...

Pat I live just off the route in Central Ohio and you are welcome to stay with me and my wife while you are in our area. I helped with the research for the Central Ohio portion of this route.

You can reach me at: bikechuck@yahoo.com
if you are interested.

Anonymous said...

We sent a pledge form in to Trish Allison. We accept your Dollar a Dog challenge from Saturday April 18 through the end of your trip. Keep track of those puppies, they can help pay for more great programs!

Betty Brock said...

I'm keeping up with your interviews every A.M. and P.M. I am impressed with your wonderful attitude.I have no great technical advice.I am just doing this vicarious enjoyment of your adventure. I have been putting in a few comments on FaceBook about your trip.I've been wondering about those 45 degree uphills.(ack)

Jared said...

I grew up in Stone Mountain, Georgia and have climbed up our namesake at least 100 times. The trick is pacing. Breath deep and keep a slow and steady pace, if you can't get in gear, no problem, just stay cool and push. Stay cool, never quit and enjoy the view! Your body will adjust, trust me! Love the duck!

Anonymous said...

You have a 27-speed bike? You will only need the lowest 3 or 5 to get thru where you r going, lol! And remember Tennessee is less hilly than Kentucky! Re-Enactors only get about 10 miles a day thru here, good luck!

James W. Stegall said...

Dear Pat, So sorry I missed your send off in Pensacola...Had House Guest....Wish I had known the route your were taking...I have traveled all through that area and it is really is super beautiful ...The Comer's you stayed with in Fulton,MS were professors of mine when I attended Itawamba Junior College in the 70's....As I said if I had known your route you could have stayed with my Brother and his wife north of Iuka,MS....He had his own guide service on the Tenn-Tom and Tennessee River and reps for several companies...God Speed and may you have a wonderful and safe trip..................Cordially, James W. Stegall