Wednesday, April 22, 2009

ObamaNation

Time for a new slogan for Illinois? Maybe. I spent the first half of today riding north along the west bank of the Ohio River in Southern Illinois, crossing back over in Kentucky near Shawnee Town. Although it was a bit chilly starting out, it soon warmed up and the weather was perfect for a long day of hill climbing in both states. I rode within 75 miles of Carbondale, where I had my first real public radio job at Southern Illinois University in 1979. One of my mentors, a genuine old time radio guy, said if I didn’t start smoking and drinking coffee I would never make it in the business. I guess I proved him wrong on both counts.

Before bidding farewell to Cave In Rock, I enjoyed a great breakfast and more conversation at GeeJay’s CafĂ©. The folks there are especially nice. I took this picture of the Opry House across the street before I left. Oh – before I forget – for those of you keeping track of the dog chases, yesterday there were lots of yard runners but only one chase. Today there were four. Here’s a picture of a sweet dog from my stay in Gainesville, Alabama on Easter.



His name is Buddy and he kept watch over me. Actually, he wanted to get in the tent. He was fine until I would get on my bike and then he would bark at me like all the other dogs.




One other piece of business from my visit yesterday to The Gower House. This is the flip side of the historic marker in front of the house. I tell you, Smithland was one popular place.

I don’t think George Washington ever slept there, but everyone else did.

It’s going to be cold here in the morning where I’m camping in Henderson, KY. I’ll probably have to shove the hand dryer in the bath house up under my jacket to get warm like I did this morning at the campground in Cave In Rock. Right now I have to sneak over to the parking lot of the Comfort Inn down the road to see if I can jump on their Wi-Fi and send this blog. You have to be resourceful out here on the road.

Tomorrow I’m heading for Owensboro. Catch you later ...

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat, Glad to hear things are going so well so far.Yes, Pat I will triple my pledge if you can get a camel to chase you.It sounds like you are really seeing some beautiful country and finding out and letting us know about some very interesting places. Remember, that has to be a dromedary camel. Hey, Guys.....where are those pledges from the camel challenge!!!!!!!!Too, be sure and get pictures of the camel chasing you!! With much admiration, James W. Stegall (not Jim) P.S.Be careful and be safe

Carol Jo said...

That is the sweetest looking dog! I bet you were tempted to pack him up and take him with you! You are amazing, keep up the blog and keep up the good work for public radio!

Anonymous said...

Pat,

Inquiring minds want to know 2 things:
1. YOU DON'T DRINK COFFEE???

2. What types of supplements do you take for your joints, energy, etc to be able to make such a long trek by bike...and to sleep in a tent to boot?

Doreen B Swartz said...

Dear Pat,

Really, camels on bike route? I'll quadruple my membership if you send pix!!!

Seriously, you are the BEST. Good luck, we follow you every day.

Doreen