Sunday, April 19, 2009

On the Battlefield

The rain finally caught up with me in Waverly. It started about midnight and was still coming down hard this morning. I debated with myself about trying to ride in it and finally decided to go for it around 11:00AM (check out time at the motel where I was staying).

I put all the rain gear on the bike and me and headed out just as the rain really started to pick up. There was no electrical activity in the sky, so I just got a good soaking for the first 30 miles of my ride. About 20 miles from Dover, the dark clouds turned fluffy white and the sun came out, so I was able to mostly dry out by the time I reached the southern end to Land Between the Lakes.

I checked into the Dover Inn and within an hour the rain started again and hasn’t let up yet. I have been so lucky with the weather! I visited Fort Donelson National Battlefield, scene of the first Civil War battle won by the Union Army. It was a crucial Union victory that opened the door to an offensive into the heart of the Confederacy.

These are some of the man-made earthen walls and trenches made by the Confederate soldiers in their failed attempt to defend the fort.

This victory by General Ulysses S. Grant and his troops, along with the taking of Fort Henry in Tennessee and Fort Heiman in Kentucky, dramatically bettered the situation for thousands of enslaved persons in both Tennessee and Kentucky. They now had friendly havens within slave territory, with Union soldiers now occupying these forts and controlling the rivers they were located on throughout the rest of the war.

The soldiers helped freedom seekers escape to free states. Even soldier’s wives and other local women came to their aid. The signing of the Second Confiscation Act of July 1862 permitted the emancipation of secessionists’ slaves that entered Union lines. By 1863, Fort Donelson saw the creation of a freedmen’s camp, with former slaves building their own homes. Later that same year, Fort Donelson became a recruiting station for African-Americans.I’m hoping that the rain passes through tonight.

Even with the foul weather today, five dogs rose to the occasion and engaged in bonafide chases (for those of you keeping count). The most exciting chase was with a St. Bernard mix – he was HUGE and fast – and he was determined. As I came around a curve with him in pursuit, I noticed a pair of mutts on the side of a hill just sitting and watching. I figure they must be accustomed to his favorite sport – sort of a cheering section. Oh well, I’m just doing my part, keeping the canines entertained. I’ll be in Kentucky before lunch tomorrow. Catch up with you later.

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

3 comments:

The Boneys said...

Since you are in pretty country today we hope the weather holds so you can enjoy it.You write beautifully and we are enjoying your comments and history lessons.Keep up the good work! The Boneys

Doc Ed said...

You are really making amazing progress! I didn't think you would ever get out of Alabama but since you did, you had really picked up steam! 'Tween the Lakes is one of the most beautiful areas in the country, enjoy it as you ride past. I know you like theme music to listen to, how about Blue Moon of Kentucky? I hope you have that one on your iPod!

James W. Stegall said...

Dear Pat,
I am really enjoying reading your blogs when I can. Glad to hear that things are going well so far. Watch out for those dogs, they could have malaria,HaHa. I would like to pledge ten dollars ($10.00)to WUWF and Pat I will double that to twenty dollars ($20.00)if you see another dromedary/camel. Also, I would like to challenge anyone else to pledge to remember the dromedary/camel and to double it if Pat sees another!!!! Sincerely, James W. Stegall