Friday, April 17, 2009

Sunrise in Tishomingo

After enjoying a beautifully misty sunrise along with my duck friends in Tishomingo State Park, it was time to head north once again. Today I decided to take an alternate route running parallel to the Underground Railroad Route about five miles to the east (I know, pretty risky for the directionally challenged one) because I wanted to more closely follow the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway to the place where it joins the Tennessee River. This happens right at the point where Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee all converge. Pickwick Lake to be precise.

I took this photo as I crossed the Tennessee River at Pickwick Dam. Although I bypassed Shiloh, I much preferred seeing this, particularly after following the Tenn-Tom Waterway all this way. Of course, this man-made wonder didn’t even exist during the time of the Underground Railroad, but the Tennessee River sure did and played a crucial role in the escape route to the north.

As I rode today, I reflected on the relationship between my fundraising mission and dog encounters. As I have said before, a big part of this adventure is to make you aware of the need to preserve public radio, a great national treasure enjoyed by millions of discerning listeners like you. The family dog is charged with the responsibility of preserving its family’s property. We are both determined to succeed. Now I have no interest in disturbing anything in that dog’s world, but he doesn’t know that and can’t take any chances.

I can respect that. I have to keep reminding you that this is a FUNDRAISING adventure for the same reason. Having said that, and given the frequency of dog encounters on this trip, I am proposing a dollar-a-dog pledge level. If I can raise one buck from enough people for every dog that chases me on this trip, we can keep public radio around for a long time. What inspired this idea was the unusually large number of dogs I encountered on Wednesday. I was chased 17 times! I outran 15 of them and the air horn stopped the other 2. So far I have not had to unholster the pepper spray even once.

I have learned how to predict the frequency of dog encounters by studying the maps. State roads are the least likely places to find loose canines. Moderate to heavy traffic tends to inspire dog owners to fence in their pets, lest they become road kill. Encounters on county roads are more likely, but the road I traveled on Wednesday was the perfect storm – one named after a local politician without any sort of numerical designation (only referred to by locals as “the north road”) a place you know you’ll be on your own and every dog along the way will consider the section in front of their yard their property. So check those maps before you ride and get yourself an air horn.

Thanks as always to those of you who have made a contribution to this campaign. If you get a chance, let one or more of our corporate sponsors know how much you appreciate their support of public radio. It’s good to be in Tennessee – I’ve traveled about 550 miles since leaving Pensacola on April 6th. Check back in with me tomorrow.

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

10 comments:

beetdog said...

By the way, Pat, its "Canada Geese" and not "Canadian Geese."

Your blog is great.

Hey, I thought you told be you carried a 9mm for those dogs. Hasnt gotten that bad yet??

Rick Benson - FWB said...

Sweet picture of the sunrise on the lake! How much did you have to pay that duck to pose?

I'm taking up a collection at work so we can make a decent donation to the cause. I love the fact that WUWF is entertaining us not just on the radio but on the computer as well with your blog, photos and all the maps and other info.

Great job, Pat!

rayne said...

You're doing an amazing thing for yourself and for the greater good, kudos and godspeed!I put a link on FB to your blog, hopefully it will generate some additional interest! :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many managers would literally put their butts on the dotted line to help their organizations budget? It's far too easy to just do away with positions, fire or lay off truuted employees or cut back on service.

What you are doing is wonderful, Pat, and I hope the entire UWF community is PROUD of what you are doing!

I challenge everybody who is enjoying Pat's blogging efforts, radio reports and wonderful pictures to give something, just ONE DOLLAR will help!

P.S. My husband and I are making a second $100 donation, won't you give what you can?

Matt and Eleanor said...

Pat, Eleanor and I are listening and following your blog and printing it. Sorry we did not get to speak to you after church the day before you departed on your journey. But you know your retired rector and wife are praying for you and with you all the way. Your blog is outstanding and so are the pictures. Here I go again...this must be published in book form. Love from Matt and Eleanor

Anonymous said...

Start counting, Pat!

I just pledged a dollar a dog, starting with $1.00. Give us a count at the end of the day.

We love you!

The Boneys said...

Did you pass Frog Jump or Bra'zil,two wide spots in the road in west TN?Your pix are lovely and we are glad to see them.We lived in Dyersburg for 20 years and like the part of the world.Your pix are lovely!We hope the weather holds for you this weekend.The Boneys

Sandra G said...

Pat,

We are so proud of you! I check your blog every day and, as I told you when you did your walk, it's like reading a great book. I will be sad when the journey comes to an end, but happy that you allowed us to experience this journey with you through your blogs, pictures and radio updates. You are not alone out there by any means. We are all there with you. Wish you were closer to the Huntsville area so we could see you.

Keep up the good work, you're doing great!!!!

Danica-CA said...

Hi Pat! Love your blog and I have linked it to mine. You must be having such a great time out there and I am so impressed at your ability to make friends out in the middle of nowhere. You must have a special talent for that. I give to public radio at KCRW but I'm collecting from my bike friends for your station, too. The UGRR is such an important part of our history, thank you for keeping the memory alive.

Unknown said...

I ride with a group (10-20) on Saturday mornings--mostly we ride to eat breakfast together at a greasy spoon near downtown Louisville. If that is when you will be here, let me know so you can join and share your adventure with us. Unfortunately I will be out of town Mon-Fri and so can not welcome you if you are here earlier. Meanwhile I will join the $/dog contribution, if you let me know how mny dogs get after you betweeen now and Canada.

David Reed
Friend of Bill Ford
Friend of Public Radio
Retired Bishop of Kentucky
dreed5226@gmail.com
or
xbpofky@bellsouth.net