Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Good Eating Today!

The day got off to a good start with a magnificent sunrise over Aberdeen Lake. After a brief shower last night, a cool dry breeze prevailed and pretty much dried everything off by morning. The air felt so refreshing and the geese and turtles kept me amused while I started packing up.

Even the fact that I had yet another flat tire did not spoil the mood, although this scene is getting too familiar. Not to worry, though. By the end of the day the mysterious tire problem would be resolved.

About an hour after sunrise a cold front moved in fast, dropping the temperature to the high 40s and bringing with it dark foreboding cloud cover. The entire ride to Fulton was cold and dreary, but it never rained – I still seem to be having great luck avoiding the wacky weather that seems to be all around.


I was hoping to score some local cuisine on my route today when I stumbled upon Bill’s Burgers in downtown Amory. For the record, I had mine “with”, a radical departure for this ketchup-only guy. I enjoyed the great burger and the opportunity to warm up a bit before pressing on.


My visit to Fulton is being hosted by Carl and Nan Comer. They are Fulton natives who graciously invited me into their beautiful home and fed me a delicious dinner. Their hospitality is outstanding – while Nan did my laundry, Carl drove me to Tupelo to find the nearest cycle shop.

We found it and the guy running the place discovered a tiny piece of wire lodged in my rear tire. He successfully removed it and hopefully with it my deflating tire mystery. Yea! Special thanks to my friend Bill Ford who introduced me to these fine folks.

While in Tupelo I saw Elvis’ birthplace, but didn’t have my camera with me to capture the moment. I have had no Elvis sightings during my time in Mississippi. Oh well, I’ll keep looking.

Tune in to WUWF (at 88.1 FM or wuwf.org) at 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or visit my media archives to listen to my phone reports and to find out where I’m headed next. Blog you tomorrow!

Large versions of all my blog pics can be found at my photo gallery.

What Do You Think?
As always we want your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Please use the links below to make a comment or suggestion and to see what others are saying about this subject.

You Don't Have to Register
To have your say, just choose the 'name/url' option and enter a screen name (you can leave the url field blank) or choose the 'anonymous' option on the comment screen.

Show Comments - Make Comment - Hide Comments

11 comments:

Ken B. said...

The ChefMoz Online Dining Guide gives Bill's in Amory 5 out of 5 stars for outstanding food! Glad you found the place.

Here's a great place to check out in Tishomingo: Country Boy's Steak and Fish, it's the real deal! Best fresh river catfish ever with hushpuppies the size of your fist and the hickory grilled steaks are heaven!

Enjoy!

beetdog said...

Pat -

I still recommend that you consider picking up a bottle of "Slime" and running it in your tires. Had you had that, you would not have had the problems youve described.

Its a sealer fluid. You put a few ounces in your tube and it seals any small leaks that may come up. There are some other brands , Victor etc, that have similar products. The stuff works and its widely available. I use it on ventures such as yours.

You may have the tire fixed for now but tire problems can come up again.

Carrie Stevenson said...

Best breakfast in Corinth is Abe's Grill, 803 Hwy 72 West. All my family is from there and it's a beautiful area, particularly around JP Coleman State Park and the Tombigbee. If you need somewhere to crash I could probably find you a spot!
ctsteven@ufl.edu

Anonymous said...

You are in the Holy Land of BBQ (sorry Texas). North Mississippi and south Tennessee have the best BBQ on the planet! I hope you find some interesting variations, after all every cook up there takes fierce pride in their own variations. Keep up the blogging and keep on truckin'

Spruce said...

How about putting together a cookbook? I'm sure the folks you stay with have some favorites to share even if the restaurants won't give up their secrets!

Anonymous said...

Aberdeen, Amory, Fulton ...My daddy used to say "If you don't live here, you must be lost !" You still have lots of the South ahead of you. So far the South has been very good to you. I am glad that you fixed the first of many bike problems.

Pensacola is cool, clear, and beautiful. Summer will catch up with you soon.

Peace and Blessings, ol' Fred

Anonymous said...

Pat, George Here, Road Captain of the Sanddollar M/C ( Motorcycle Club)in Fort Walton we want to ride your Ride, albeit a little quicker, can you tell us what roads your traveling ? The Food part is awesome, looking forward to more.
d127fatcat@embarqmail.com

Sprocketboy said...

Greetings, Pat, from Ontario--at the far side of your map! The Underground Railroad Route looks fascinating. As a one-time history student, I have been considering this trek myself. I would love to see a whole lot more of your photos. The greatest regrets that I had on cycling trips is haven taken too few photos, never too many. I will put a link to your blog on mine, and I wish you a great ride up to the Great White North!

Bobby Rains said...

Hey Pat - Just wanted to let you know that your friends on 30A are following your adventures. Be safe!

Bobby

Anonymous said...

Pat...no....we mean it! You REALLY have to turn around to finish the painting.

Annie and John

Anonymous said...

Hey, Pat, what about the tire?